The story of my first mod...

A repository for easy access of the project threads that get started in the Mod Development forum.

Postby Lokiswaq on Fri Mar 26, 2004 1:16 am

Well, after getting a little bit tired of playing DS (and most of the maps and siegelets available), I thought it would be interesting to spend some of my free time in a more productive way.

So, I started my first modding project ^_^.

This isn't something spectacular of course, but it serves at least three purposes:

1. It is a nice exercise for me in order to learn how to mod.
2. It fills a small gap in the UI (from my perspective, at least).
3. It will allow me to contribute something (insignificant as it may be) to the community.

As you can see in the attached screenie, the BufUI mod displays a window with all the buffs that are active on your character along with their timers (which become red when less than 10 seconds remain). It supports a maximum of 12 buffs (I never used more than that) instead of the 3 that are displayed on the dock bar. It is displayed/hidden by right-clicking on the dockbar and you can click-through it.

It is still in the development phase (not all categories of spells are supported yet) and there are a few little bugs that need to be taken care of. I'm also considering the possibility of displaying spell icons along with the descriptions (Xaa's idea).

I hope that I will have a working version soon in order to release it. Any comments and/or suggestions are welcome ;)

EDIT: Stable version released (including LoA version): Download section
Attachments
BufUI_1.jpg
BufUI_1.jpg (0 Bytes) Viewed 4543 times
Last edited by Lokiswaq on Tue Apr 27, 2004 9:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
:: BufUI 2.00 - a GUI panel that displays your active buffs - its story
:: UberUI 0.02 - a GUI enhanchment that shows your uber level in game
:: afaik.gr Under Siege and afaik.gr Under Siege Forums
Lokiswaq
Centurion
Centurion

Postby wat1 on Fri Mar 26, 2004 1:20 am

wow! that is pretty cool...im getting interested in your work!

:P
"Nothing - it's just a game. If you want more interactivity than that, you're going to have to turn off your computer, stand up, walk outside, and play a bigger game called Real Life. It has better graphics, the NPC's are totally realistic, and it's completely free. One warning, though - you only get one shot at playing it."

-Xaa
wat1
Champion
Champion

Postby Bj Rox ur Sox on Fri Mar 26, 2004 2:43 am

not too bad at all dude.
no signature
Bj Rox ur Sox
Hero
Hero

Postby Danath Farrence on Fri Mar 26, 2004 9:37 am

Very good! :thumbup: It's very useful,you can know what effects do you have at every moment and the most important.............the remaining time! :lol:
Danath is reborn once again to take revenge.Beware my enemies.....
Rage of Mages forever!
Danath Farrence
Centurion
Centurion

Postby sol77 on Fri Mar 26, 2004 10:27 am

Could you add a toggle function so you can bring it up when you need it?
Very good idea this mod. :thumbup:
SiegeTheDay
----------------------------
Siegecore
Herena Forge
sol77
Champion
Champion

Postby Lokiswaq on Fri Mar 26, 2004 10:49 am

Thanks for your comments so far, I'm glad you like it ^_^.
sol77 wrote:Could you add a toggle function so you can bring it up when you need it?

Maybe I wasn't so clear when I wrote: "It is displayed/hidden by right-clicking on the dockbar", so yes, right-clicking on the dockbar does the trick of toggling the BufUI (and it is off by default) ;).
Last edited by Lokiswaq on Fri Mar 26, 2004 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lokiswaq
Centurion
Centurion

Postby sol77 on Fri Mar 26, 2004 10:58 am

Oops. I missed that. :D
Is it hard to add a keyshortcut to that?
Not that it's really necessary, mostly curious.
Last edited by sol77 on Fri Mar 26, 2004 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
SiegeTheDay
Siegecore
Herena Forge
sol77
Champion
Champion

Postby Lokiswaq on Fri Mar 26, 2004 11:21 am

sol77 wrote: Is it hard to add a keyshortcut to that? Not that it's really necessary, mostly curious.

I would really like to bind it to a specific key myself but, AFAIK, there is no way to sense keystrokes in skrit without reverting to a dsdll (and I don't want to do that unless it is absolutely necessary). The best alternative I can think of right now is to pick an existing keystroke that already does something-else-not-so-important and bind it there (as long as the default action is not hardcoded). I'll try and see what I can do ;).
Lokiswaq
Centurion
Centurion

Postby sol77 on Fri Mar 26, 2004 11:29 am

If you don't use a dsdll then maybe mac-users can use you mod aswell?

Better not steal an already existing keyshortcut, you never know who uses them. ;)

I think right-clicking on the dockbar is good enough. I'll use your mod for sure when it is released.
Last edited by sol77 on Fri Mar 26, 2004 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
SiegeTheDay
Siegecore
Herena Forge
sol77
Champion
Champion

Postby Lokiswaq on Fri Mar 26, 2004 11:48 am

sol77 wrote: If you don't use a dsdll then maybe mac-users can use you mod aswell?

That's the idea, yes.
Better not steal an already existing keyshortcut, you never know who uses them. ;)

:P Well, I meant to preserve the original functionality of the keystroke and add on it, not replace it. Combined with an show/hide toggle that would allow the keystoke to show (or not) the BufUI, the player would have the freedom to chose between the dockbar right-click or the keystroke way of diplaying it (or use them both).

Not so important perhaps (as you also said) but I'm exploring the possibility anyway for another idea I'm having ;)
Lokiswaq
Centurion
Centurion

Postby sol77 on Fri Mar 26, 2004 12:12 pm

I'm just thickheaded today. :P
But now I know what you mean. :D
SiegeTheDay
Siegecore
Herena Forge
sol77
Champion
Champion

Postby Ulfman on Fri Mar 26, 2004 4:16 pm

Lokiswaq wrote:
sol77 wrote: Is it hard to add a keyshortcut to that? Not that it's really necessary, mostly curious.

I would really like to bind it to a specific key myself but, AFAIK, there is no way to sense keystrokes in skrit without reverting to a dsdll (and I don't want to do that unless it is absolutely necessary). The best alternative I can think of right now is to pick an existing keystroke that already does something-else-not-so-important and bind it there (as long as the default action is not hardcoded). I'll try and see what I can do ;).

What about Monsoon's UI? I'm pretty thick about the code and its' manipulation, but I believe that it senses keystrokes and you don't need a dsdll. ;)
Ulfman
Centurion
Centurion

Postby xmen90s on Fri Mar 26, 2004 5:53 pm

Lokiswaq,
You can detect the shift, control, and alt key being pressed without skrit.

Thanks,
AA
xmen90s

Postby xmen90s on Fri Mar 26, 2004 5:55 pm

D'oh,
I meant WITH skrit, and WITHOUT dsdll :-P

If ( AppModule.ShiftKey )
{
// Shift Key Is Pressed
}
xmen90s

Postby Monsoon on Fri Mar 26, 2004 8:35 pm

Ulfman wrote:
Lokiswaq wrote:I would really like to bind it to a specific key myself but, AFAIK, there is no way to sense keystrokes in skrit without reverting to a dsdll (and I don't want to do that unless it is absolutely necessary). The best alternative I can think of right now is to pick an existing keystroke that already does something-else-not-so-important and bind it there (as long as the default action is not hardcoded). I'll try and see what I can do ;).

What about Monsoon's UI? I'm pretty thick about the code and its' manipulation, but I believe that it senses keystrokes and you don't need a dsdll. ;)

Nooo! Our little mods are going to be incompatible. Well good thing I made mine unprotected. Please feel free to look at what I did as far as a seperate button. I assume you used the UI tutorial over at Siegeworks.org as it uses the right click on the bar for it's example.
I like what you've done with the buff display, I've always hated that it only shows a couple of them like that.
Oh, and if you have any questions about UI stuff, I may have some info for ya! :thumbup:
A regular Whirlin' Dervish
"Hack and slash are now my trademarks."
"Abstraction" - a Dungeon Siege 1 siegelet
Monsoon
Centurion
Centurion

Next

Return to Project Threads