'War Hound' Pet Mod (Beta)

Any questions and discussions about authoring mods are welcome here. Also, feel free to let people know about mod-related resources, to request mods or post mod ideas.

Postby KillerGremal on Sat Nov 26, 2005 9:56 pm

An old and almost forgotten Aranna lore wrote: ;)
Morden-Gral Mages have learnd more and more about the races out of the Magic Rifts and have begun to merge dire wolves and nawl beasts to get a very powerful beast to support them in the fight against the dryads.
To increase their battle-utility the gral mages implented scorpion thorns into the pet's back and head and they have raised it only with blood instead of wolf milk to keep it aggressive.
Many of these little new born creatures haven't survived that torture and some of them still suffer the consequences...

Image Image

WAR HOUND - Melee Pet Mod (Download Beta 9a, 315kB, Read-Me) (Links updated 8-April-06)

GROWTH:
BABY: (ignores Food from Chars <Level 11)
- Attack: Bite (native)
- Certain (permanently growing) chance to cause a laceration (1) (native)
FLEDGLING: (ignores Food from Chars <Level 14)
- Garanteed bonus: 7% Belligerence (2)
JUVENILE: (ignores Food from Chars <Level 17)
- Attack: Rending Bite
- Garanteed bonus: 'Tree of Life' (3) & Strength
- Power: Furious Howl (4)
ADOLESCENT: (ignores Food from Chars <Level 20)
- Garanteed bonus: Speed & Dodge
YOUNG ADULT: (ignores Food from Chars <Level 23)
- Attack: Devasting Bite
- Garanteed bonus: Spirit Embrace (5)
MATURE:
- Garanteed bonus: Life Steal & 'Charisma' (6)
- Emanation: Xeria's Fury (7)

AQUISITION:
- Seller: Pet Seller Neda, Act 1, at Eirulan
- Price: 1375 Gold
- Note: The pet will be available as soon as Dire Wolf quest is solved

REMARKS:
(1): Splashing blood will heal the pet for a short period of time. During a battle close enemies may harm themself sometimes due to the pet's thorns.
(2): 'Belligerence' will increases average damage and probability to hit.
(3): As to be said the war hound descended from the Magic Rift animals, that's why the pet instinctly remembers magic resourses like ley lines for better surviving.
(4): Actually this is just a slightly enhanced version of the Dire Wolf power..
(5): Has a similar effect like the protective spell of the same name.
(6): Generally this means enemies may feel provocated. However in certain circumstances this can make new friends too.
(7): A war emanation. Imporves power regeneration and even protects in parts, however also impacts the vitality.

Image Image

FURTHER INFORMATION:
- Playable I: The Pet is available after Dire Wolf quest at Eirulan and generally you can feed it above level 11. But probably you are still too weak to keep such a challenging pet. Note the young pet spontaniously can fall ill! In these times you not only have to fend yourself you also should care the pet (later you will get a good pet so do something for it!;)). - However, if you are already fighting close at your limit then better keep e.g. a packmule until about level 20 and change than.
- Playable II: War Hound has a rather different combat behaviour. On one hand this mod is still work-in-progress of course, on the other hand the current behaviour should 'fix' the doubtable interception AI of DS2 (see this GPG-Thread for more).
- Playable III: As mature pet the War Hound is able to provoke enemies. That's evidentally an abivalent feature and you better make familar yourself with the short-keys for rampage, mirror, guard and wait command.
- Playable IV: It won't matter what language of DS2 you have. All text expressions should be translated automatically into your distribuition language.
- Playable V: Chronically you will 'over-level' sooner or later with pets in your party destroying every challenge of the game. But if you like there is a hofix mod (Beta 2c, 450kB, read-me) solving this bug and some other DS2 issues.
- Technical: For uninstalling/deleting this mod release first all the war hounds before removing this mod!
- Appendix: For more general information about pet and mod please see read-me file.
Last edited by KillerGremal on Sat Apr 08, 2006 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KillerGremal
Explorer
Explorer

Postby KillerGremal on Wed Feb 08, 2006 6:50 pm

Time has passed and meanwhile things have to be updated:

- These not very sophisticated 'SlowerLeveling mods' are obsolete now.
An approch to improve the game and to fix some known bugs would be this Hotfix-Mod v.2f (562kB, Read-Me) (Links updated 8-April-06)
Please note, this mod is not my own invention, eg. Hanker Chief in particular has fixed the bonuses on set/unique items. Of course also other gamers have contributed things for sure, so thanks to all who have published any bugs and ways to solve it!

- The War Hound: There is a quite smooth version meanwhile: War Hound, Beta 9a (315kB, Read-Me) (Links updated 8-April-06)
This will contain the core part of the War Hound mod. If you just are intreseted in the pet only, this mod contains already everything you are looking for.

- Now there is also an add-on mod for the War Hound mod: Morden Snow Canyon (553kB, Tank-Log) (Links updated 8-April-06)
There is still some work to do i guess, that's why it comes in a separate tank for the moment.

Not to push a wrong imression, this canyon area isn't that big. Finally the hole playtime take as much time as some arena rounds would do. - I'm afraid, i wasn't able to add new pieces of map ground by a mod...:( - However, don't underestimate that canyon with its Morden and monsters. If you act like a stupid squire and run trough the hole canyon just to see what happens you will end like this: ;)

ImageImageImage

There are well-trained Morden soldiers in that Canyon. What they do there? - I don't know, maybe they prepare the attack against Snowbrook, perhaps they try to convince local monsters to join them or they just are looking themself for treasures.

So this addon may be interesting also for players noramlly that never have intended to install a pet mod once. Indeed, it is not necessary to have pet or even war hound in your party to got to that canyon. You only have to find and help an imprisoned War Hound and maybe he will open a passage down to the canyon then.
If you have any suggestions, don't hesitate!

Installation:
To summarize all, to play the 'War Hound' mod inclusive 'Morden Snow Canyon' extension you need:

- Dungeon Siege II v2.2
- Elys All*Saves
- Mod-Pet-WarHound-XxYyZz.ds2res
- Mod-Pet-WarHound-Canyon-XxYyZz.ds2res

Most simplest thing would be now to put the last two files in the 'resources' folder of DS2 and launching the game then by Elys All*Saves preloader.
Of course GPG says you should use DungeonSiege2Mod.exe to run a modded game, but...:
- The installation procedure for is much more complicated.
- The retail exe version seems to be faster, there is no developper-overhead slowing down the FPS.
- With DS2Mod the magic rift to get access to the Morden Snow Canyon probably won't work if you have own maps under construction.
Last edited by KillerGremal on Sat Apr 08, 2006 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KillerGremal
Explorer
Explorer

Postby GrrMan on Mon Feb 20, 2006 6:20 am

Impressive! Though... the pictures don't seem to work.
GrrMan
Mercenary
Mercenary

Postby KillerGremal on Thu Feb 23, 2006 7:39 pm

Thanks, image links are working again, also the pet information above is up to date now.

Not only the pet comes in a new version Beta 8 f (125kB, Read-Me), the 'Morden Snow Canyon' Addon Mod (457kB, Read-Me) is Alpha 4 now too.
If somebody has any old version it would perhabs be a good idea to update the mods. ;)
KillerGremal
Explorer
Explorer

Postby Cain Maris on Mon Feb 27, 2006 4:33 am

One problem with the war-hound mod:

Do NOT take your mature war-hound with you on later iterations of the dire wolf quest. He WILL convert one or more of the nawl beasts, which you will then be unable to kill, leaving the quest hung until the effect wears off. Provoke does NOT counteract the war-hound's charm.

I have seen it wear off, but not often enough to judge the duration, or even if it happens every time. In any event the duration is long enough that you don't want to sit and wait. So far I've gone on to kill the haku usurper, and am now working my way through Feldwyr's warrens, and the last stinking nawl beast is still a non-combatant.

Otherwise, great mod.
Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend.
Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.

S. Clemens
Cain Maris
Lurker who Speaks

Postby KillerGremal on Wed Mar 01, 2006 6:24 pm

Wow, very nice bug you have found...! :huh:

The conversion family members will lasts forever (or untill they die anyhow) - in most cases that is too long i guess to sit and wait for. ;)

I will try to solve it as soon as possible an in case of emergency i will deactivate that feature again.
Last edited by KillerGremal on Wed Mar 01, 2006 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KillerGremal
Explorer
Explorer

Postby Cain Maris on Thu Mar 02, 2006 1:13 am

Curiouser and curiouser.

The (multiplayer - solo) game finally hung somewhere in the Azunite desert, so I had to restart. Computer locked up - dont know why. That has only happened in the past due to the infernal ice-falls in the ancients burial ground.

But I digress.

Subsequently, when I went back to check on my friend at the rift, the quest had reset to the first dialog point before Wossname the mage attempts his summons.

Prudently (perhaps) I had left my war-hound behind in the cave this time.

The script played out normally, many nawl beasts emerged from the rift, and I began to kill them. The fourth one I took out was apparently the survivor from the previous iteration, and Wossname declared victory, complete with dire wolf, while I still had six or so nawl beasts to kill.

I guess there is a counter for nawl beasts killed much like the Morden counter in Kalrathia. Presumably the mythril horn quest has one too, but I think I shall refrain from trying to break that one. I just don't need to know.

I have seen at least one charmed nawl beast forget about me (sniff) by the time of a later visit, and I have had a number of them torn apart by their more steadfast compatriots.

Presumably I should have refrained from killing the bulk of the rift-beasts until the charmed ones had snuffed it, but I was too slow on the uptake.

Nice work on the mod nonetheless. I still hope to find the rest of the miniquest.

S. Clemens
Cain Maris
Lurker who Speaks

Postby KillerGremal on Thu Mar 02, 2006 7:48 pm

I'm sorry for the inconvenience you had. Actually i'm looking for a work-around. A revised mod version will be avbailable soon, maybe even tomorrow.

Cain Maris wrote:The (multiplayer - solo) game finally hung somewhere in the Azunite desert, so I had to restart. Computer locked up - dont know why. That has only happened in the past due to the infernal ice-falls in the ancients burial ground.

The war hound mod don't affect the Azunite desert or the ancients burial ground. Of course i can't exclude for sure that this crash isn't caused by the war hound mod but actually there is no relation between mod and these areas.

Cain Maris wrote:Subsequently, when I went back to check on my friend at the rift, the quest had reset to the first dialog point before Wossname the mage attempts his summons.

Prudently (perhaps) I had left my war-hound behind in the cave this time.

The script played out normally, many nawl beasts emerged from the rift, and I began to kill them. The fourth one I took out was apparently the survivor from the previous iteration, and Wossname declared victory, complete with dire wolf, while I still had six or so nawl beasts to kill.

Well this quest was 'beyond control' now so don't expect any normal behaviour.
However i'm glad that you were able to complete this quest anyhow (regardless of those remaning nawl beasts). ;)

Cain Maris wrote:I guess there is a counter for nawl beasts killed much like the Morden counter in Kalrathia. Presumably the mythril horn quest has one too, but I think I shall refrain from trying to break that one. I just don't need to know.

Your assuption about a 'kill counter' is correct. At the dire wolf quest too the game engine want to see them killed, that's exaclty the matter...

Cain Maris wrote:I still hope to find the rest of the miniquest.

The so called mini-quest is part of the war hound (main) mod. If you haven't found yet the place there it starts:
- The mini-quest is inside a NPC related secondary quest.
- If you remember the 'war hound lore' form above it's a quest where you will encouter Gral mages. ;)
- If you aren't afraid then tell the quest-qiver he should go to hell :smilewinkgrin: (don't panic, he will forgive you again).
It's only possible to solve it completely if the quest-giver will join your party once. But indeed that's not really necessary, you can consider this quest as solved if you get the (little) reward after done him a favour.
KillerGremal
Explorer
Explorer

Postby Lone Knight on Fri Mar 03, 2006 12:20 am

Very good work, KG.

Will we expect more DS2 mods from you?
Unknown wrote:It remains to be seen if DS can rise back from its ashes and dissociates from DS2 and GPG.

Dungeon Siege Forever
Lone Knight
Centurion
Centurion

Postby KillerGremal on Fri Mar 03, 2006 12:02 pm

Lone Knight wrote:Very good work, KG.

Will we expect more DS2 mods from you?

At the moment were aren't any further mods.
I admit i'm no natural born modder, mostly i just did it to keep that game more playble anyhow. So there were also a couple of other 'own' mods, but beside to the war hound mod only a monster stash mod is worth mentioning maybe and perhaps the hotfix mod from above too (a compilation of known bug-fixes and smaller improvements).
Expect of these mods there are two special Do-it-yourself Naldrun pet mods (almost the same like Naiad pets, so Naldruns have power and eating movement by defaut).
(I'm sorry, some links will lead in german forums but i hope the image will help a bit...!?)

So that's atually all - and as you see with the dire wolf quest porblem there is permanently some need to keep these mods running smooth. ;)

__________________________________________________________________________________________

War Hound Mod, Beta 8G (225kB, Read-Me) - Work-around to fix the above mentioned dire wolf quest problem in veteran and elite mode.

Evidentally this 'meeting a friend' feature is more tricky than i have thought initally. Moreover that featrue presents itself in slightly different kind in DungeonSiege2.exe and DungeonSiege2Mod.exe making the things even more confusing sometimes... :wacko:
Of course i have completed successfully the dire wolf quest certain times with Beta 8g and there shouldn't be a problem any longer.
However, if Rokhar is able to tame a dire wolf after 9 of 10 nawl beast - i hope you can live with that curiosity if it will happen...!? ;)

__________________________________________________________________________________________

One remark about the 'Morden Snow Canyon' addon-mod: In some cases this mod won't work correctly when used with DungeonSiege2Mod.exe. So please stick on the inofficial method with All*Saves if you like to play that mod. As far as experienced there are no problems when using it with DungeonSiege2.exe.
KillerGremal
Explorer
Explorer

Postby Cain Maris on Fri Mar 03, 2006 5:22 pm

Thanks for the fix. I hadn't thought the lock-up was related to your mod, it's just a feature of using Micro$oft products. I think of it as weather and move on.

I also hadn't considered the dire wolf quest "feature" to be an inconvenience, either. It was just wry commentary on my part.

It always boggles me what you creative types can produce in the way of mods. I derive great enjoyment from the effort you modders put in without actually producing anything myself, so appreciative commentary and/or constructive observation is absolutely the least I could be doing.

Now if some able person feels like making a Skath cat pet mod to complete the set....

S. Clemens
Cain Maris
Lurker who Speaks

Postby Cain Maris on Tue Mar 07, 2006 2:00 am

In response to private mail, KillerGremal has been quite helpful.

The game mechanics used for the miniquest here are quite well thought out, using existing game materials in new ways rather than inserting a "fetch the magic widget" element to hunt down and use. Kudos. One wishes more mod authors, or for that matter game designers were as creative in their use of the materials at hand.

Fair warning, though: when the war-hound puppy joined my party, all characters in the inn were erased from my multiplayer character party, including versions of all NPCs and a small family of battle gorillas who were storing a rather extensive collection of uniques and sets. All five back-ups were overwritten, as well.

Oops.

Saved games' quest status and such seem unaffected.

Sorry for the switch in attitudes, KG, but this has happened since my last message to you.

I cannot, under the circumstances advise using the miniquest aspects of this mod, and I shall be exploring the Snow Canyon carefully as well.

S. Clemens
Cain Maris
Lurker who Speaks

Postby KillerGremal on Tue Mar 07, 2006 7:01 pm

Cain Maris wrote:...
Fair warning, though: when the war-hound puppy joined my party, all characters in the inn were erased from my multiplayer character party, including versions of all NPCs and a small family of battle gorillas who were storing a rather extensive collection of uniques and sets. All five back-ups were overwritten, as well.
OMG! - What a grave multi player bug...!!! :huh:
I'm going to reproduce and if possible to solve this bug as soon as possible.
So far i only can advise to keep away from the war hounds you find on the map on multiplayer map until there is a fixed version!

It's a damn pitty that i have overseen this in mp mode, most seem to play as then as single player evidentally, because this is the first post about such a bug and because in single player mode that bug won't happen for sure:

Side-note: 'Warodym' is the name of the War hound you can ask to join you if the mini-quest is solved.

@Cain Maris: I'm really sorry that your party members have disappeared from the inn.
I hope you have made a fully separated copy of your save-game before add mods generally!?
It's a pitty that the so-called backup funtion of DS2 isn't worth anything. It's not mod that overwrites these *.ds2bak, no it's the DS2 game engine it self creating/overwritting these files all few minutes. So during the time you need to go back to Eirulan all these automatic *.ds2bak-files are overwirtten with the new party status already a couple of times. :(
That's why it's always clever to seperate the char/party save-games in a custom folder there DS2 can't do any harm.

Edit: This bug has been removed in Beta 9a
Last edited by KillerGremal on Sat Apr 08, 2006 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KillerGremal
Explorer
Explorer

Postby KillerGremal on Tue Mar 07, 2006 9:08 pm

I really have to confirm this bug in multi player... :(
But there isnt' any danger until such a wild war hound joins your party. So you can play until/inclusive reward without any trouble - but do not allow him to join!

The reson why i haven't seen this bug is as simple as momentous. Instead of permanently restoring my party savegame i often have worked in MP mode with write-protected savegames in order to always have the same test-envirenement.:(

Actually i can't see that the reason for this bug is. 'Rent a pet' is a feature that is just beyond the standard GPG-game feature range. Moreover you often can found posts in GPG's forum that generally would soemthing wrong with the char storage in the inn. - Thus i'm a bit pesimistic so find a real fix hence...

@Cain Maris: For the case you haven't made a manual backup, try to attach your reduced savegame (Hero.ds2party & Hero.ds2radar). If you like i will try then to add my rare and set donkey into it. They only have items until ~level 40, but better the nothing maybe!?
Last edited by KillerGremal on Tue Mar 07, 2006 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KillerGremal
Explorer
Explorer

Postby Cain Maris on Wed Mar 08, 2006 2:45 am

Nah, I'm much too dumb to lock the door until after the horse is gone, the barn is burned and the librarian's ridden off into the sunset with the sidekick tenor (to mix a few metaphors), but I've had it happen enough times in different games and with different hard drives and/or operating systems that I've gotten phosoliphical about it (that's like philosophy only not so damnably serious all the time).

I trashed the saves as a security measure before I saw your response (sorry, but I'm a nasty suspicious sort) and I'm using the Test World mod to rebuild an approximation of my character and starting my collection again. All the joy and anticipation all fresh and new...

No hard feelings of any sort.

I specifically disrecommend ONLY the part of your mod that blew up in my face; I still stand by what I said before about the merits of your work, and will continue to use it myself. I will likely not have any companions named Warodym or Dwayanu in the near future, however, as you can probably understand. I prefer Ulrich, or Von Bek, in any event. Apologies to Mr. Moorcock.

I assume the Morden Valley mod does not require the adoption of the war-hound puppy into the party in order to gain it's aid?

To aid in testing (or help you decide to throw up your hands in disgust) I was using Elys' sucubus v15 as a base game, with the addition of the following mods:

R_better_loot (collecting, yes?)

moods_low (Iryan's seefar )

Custom_Pets_Alpha_V1.2 (for the storage gorillas)

DeadSpell (because it's so damn convenient)

and the curtrent version of both of your mods.

I had loaded Super Shops and then killed it as too much of a gimme.

Curiously, on attempting to reapply Super Shops I found normal shops in Eirulan but all of the unique rings and amulets (including the Mysterious one) began turning up as mob drops! upon which I killed it again. No idea why that one went south, it may or may not be related.

Good hunting. Sorry to keep presenting you with these little challenges, but hey: that's why you called it a beta, no?

S. Clemens
Cain Maris
Lurker who Speaks

Next

Return to Mod Development